Friday, January 11, 2008

A.R.K.

A.R.K.

When most people hear the word ark, they think, Noah. But if God ever asks me to build an ark, I look at it this way. Since he said he would never cause another flood like that, there has to be another meaning. A.R.K. Acts of Random Kindness. There are a lot of people in the world, and if you think about it, that's not such a bad idea. If I could make somebody's day better by just giving them a hand with the stuff they are carrying or smiling at them in the hallway, then that would be an act of kindness. Have you ever helped someone, and then got a smile so big, that you feel like you just handed them the world? I have, and let me tell ya, it feels great. I didn't do it to show I could be nice to someone, in fact, I didn't think about it at all. But that thoughtless act proved to make that woman's day. I just helped her carry her stuff, but maybe I did more than that, I don't know. Maybe she had had one of those days where the boss was yelling and you can't please anyone and you can't do anything right. I don't know. What I do know, is that she couldn't stop thanking me. It made me feel as if I had done something great, and it was so small a thing, and didn't take any up any of my time. (Thats the excuse isn't it?? That we're to busy?) Like the Free Hugs movement that is sweeping over the world, the littlest things make a difference, now no, I don't really want to go up and hug a random stranger, I would rather help the random stranger to the car, or hold their place in line if they are chasing after their toddler. But, to each their own. My act of random kindness today might just be telling you about this bigger picture. Life is to short not to treat it as if it were a huge adventure. And so, I start building my ark.

No comments: